Sundays cook - a - thon

Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Well on Sunday we got a bit of a late start on the cooking for the next two weeks. I started by putting the two chickens in the crock-pot to cook for 6 hours on high. I then taking some of the 3 lbs of bulk breakfast sausage and made 3 oz patties for my husband for his morning breakfasts, and placing them in the freezer to freeze a bit so I could put them in to a bag for next week. My son started with the 10 lbs of Ground meat(we use a 60/40 blend of beef/pork) first we used 4 lbs and make 6 1 lb meat-loafs. Yes 6 for with the other stuff in there you can stretch it to 6. After the meatloaf was partial frozen I wrapped in in plastic wrap and put them in a 1 gallon ziploc bag. Please do not ask me what we put in to them for we never us the same recipe for meatloaf. Then my son cooked down 5 lbs with some onion, and we got 3 1 lb bag of ready to use cooked ground meat. This can be used for tacos, sloppy joes, hamburger helper(homemade of course) and a number of other stuff. We used about 2 lbs of the ground meat to make mini meatballs for homemade hot pockets. My son made 3 batches of pizza dough for the hot pockets that were to be made. we made 8 meatball and 8 pizza for the freezer but two of the meatball got eat that night. We then made more pizza ones for dinner that night and some got put in the freezer. I shredded the chicken and place it in two bowls to make Chicken enchilada with, still have to make them tomorrow. We also have three packs of chicken breast for stuff like Chicken Alfredo, chicken nuggets and just to be fried up. This morning/afternoon I make a breakfast egg salad with hard boiled eggs, sausage and tater tots. My son and I can place some on an English muffin and run out the door with it.

I still have some meats that are left from the last few shopping trips that we will use on nights that my son and I are at home all day. He only has classes 4 days a week so we are home Friday and and the weekends. I hope that over time we will be able to build up a stock of stuff in the freezer, but with the change of power outage in the winter I don't like having the freezer to stock up. Here is October we will really be doing some stocking up on food. We do this twice a year so that I always have something to make no matter what happens.

0 comments :

Post a Comment