Saving money cooking and getting creative in the kitchen

Thursday, May 8, 2014
Well the cost of food is really get out of hand. I know that I would like to grow more of my own food but at this time I just do not have the money to get any of the animals that I would like to have, so I still have to get meat from the store and let me tell you it is getting HIGH. This last shopping trip I got two whole chickens and yesterday I put them in the crock pot for 10 hour on low, let it stay on warm overnight. I had my husband turn it off this morning when he was up for work, this way it would be cooled down to work with. I was able to get 3 lbs 10 ozs of chicken and 3 qts of broth out the two chickens for about $10. The chicken i put in 1 lb portions in the freezer and the broth is in qt mason jars in the freezer(lids are lose till frozen). That there is for meals for us for there are only 3 of us.
Now for the creative part in the kitchen. My son the creative cook, mad scientist that he is did it again. here is  what he made tonight, a take off of a chicken helper. We love the idea of "helpers" but not the price. We will get one now and then so that we can try to remake it for less. and this one is the chicken enchilada one, or our take on it.
1 lb cooked chicken
1 15 oz can Diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can Green chilies
1 inch slice of Velveeta cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic(we use the jar kind)
1/2 minced onion
3/4 cup Enchilada sauce ( we use homemade)
1 cup frozen corn
Cooked Rice (1 cup dry to 2 cups water)
Start the rice first and make the sauce if using home made. Mix the chicken, tomatoes, chilies garlic, onion and Velveeta together till cheese is melted stir in the enchilada sauce and rice. heat and enjoy.
To me this is a fast easy recipe. The extra enchilada sauce I will freeze for later.


0 comments :

Post a Comment