Nice weather and stockpiling ahead

Thursday, August 15, 2013
The weather is just way to nice for the middle of August, and with that and some of the weather folklore I have looked at we are in for a bad winter. The corn here has thick tight husk. It is a cool August following a warmer that normal July. We have had 3 or 4 foggy day already this month. I mean come on it is August and I have the AC turned OFF, the window open and the attic fan on.
With all that I am going to be working on a good stock pile of food for the winter just in case. Living out as far as we do it is best to be ready for the worst, and hope for the best. I would like to have about 4 to 6 weeks worth of food on hand. I don't wand to have a lot in the freezer since we could lose the electric to an ice storm or something. Been there done that. Everything is going to have to be canned or dried. I hope that I can get a dehydrator very soon, but we are going to have to get the truck fixed first. We can only wait and see what happen.
Now on to recipes and meal planning, that I am not all that good at. I have a habit changing up recipes just about every time I make them. Like last night I made Chili and I just browned some ground beef added about 8 cans of stuff and chili season and that was it. 8 cans are tomato sauce, paste and soup, caned green chilies chili beans and kidney beans, crushed and diced tomatoes heat to a simmer and done. tonight we are having smoothed Pork Steaks put steaks in a glass baking dish, cover with a can of cream soup, Mushroom, celery or what every you think will taste good. Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Tomorrow I am going to be traveling a lot with taking my hubby to the hospital for a bunch of test, most of them are routine. so tonight I will make some breakfast sandwiches to take with us. I am going to bake the eggs in my large muffin tin so they are round. Any left overs that I have I can freeze for the weekend. Everyone know I have more eggs than I really know what to do with. I hope to get a angel food cake pan soon so I can start to make them. Well till later.

0 comments :

Post a Comment