hatching, selling and beyond

Wednesday, February 27, 2013
I set the incubator on the 4th of Feb with 37 eggs. I had one that I tossed at 10 days and now I have 6 that have hatched under Honey my broody hen. These are the ones that we are going to be keeping for they are 5 green eggs and 1 brown. The other 24 that have hatched in the incubator are for sale and it looks like some one is going to come and get them later today. After this I think Ia m going to have to make a new incubator for I am having to help most of them out of there shell for they keep getting shrink wrapped. I would like to make a nicer one that has turners. We can only wait to see what happens.
Now on to the meat part of this. I have been doing the math and have found that we are going to have to butcher out at lease 104 chickens each summer just to have enough for the year at 2 a week. After doing the math I am going to have to build a plucker just so that we can get it done in a timely fashion. I have been looking on line and found that I really would like to have a drum type chicken plucker to do my chicken in. I am even thinking of making it human powered so that we can get moving a bit more and I don't have to use electric to run it. I am also going to have to get some killing cones or make them and a few other things to be able to butcher that many chickens fast enough.
I also hope that we will be able to add Rabbit to the dinner menu soon. Again we are going to need around 52 or more to have rabbit once a week. Rabbit is not hard to butcher out at all if you have two people doing it. We are also going to have to get up to 4 goats and a few lambs. By doing this we will have all the meat that we can eat in a year. Don't get me wrong I like my beef and pork but at the price of meat in the store we are just going to have to raise what we can, and a cow is a bit to big for the area we have. We will do a pig every year too but with all of this it is going to take time to get set up.
With the weather being so cold we are not able to get the garden boxes build. I am going to try and get my seeds started in the house this week. I just need to have a place that is save from all the cats so that they can grow. I just hope that we will be able to grow enough for the family.

0 comments :

Post a Comment