Chicken lose, chicken gained

Thursday, March 8, 2012
Well yesterday I lost Lucky the only hen that was laying green eggs. I have two of her chicks in the brooder now and I put the last two eggs that I got in the incubator after I found her. I am not sure if her offspring will lay green eggs, but I have a part of her still here. From now on my hens will be staying in the coop/run. I have removed the rooster for he seem to really like three of my good layers and they are starting to look beat up really bad.
I really don't need a roosters to get my eggs, just to have hatching eggs from the hen I already have. I did the math on the last eggs that I bought. I bought 48 eggs for $8.00 at the auction that breaks down to about $.17 an egg. One got broke on the way home for being so big. Even if only a handful of the eggs hatch I am still ahead from just getting chicks form a hatchery. I do plan on getting a few chicks from TSC to get some pure breeds. I really don't have to have the pure breeds I really just want to have a lot of different kind of chickens.

We are going to be looking for the right house and not just settling for what we can find that will work. We have a list of what we want in a house and we are going to be sticking to it. We are looking for 2 or more acres, with 4 to 5 being ideal, 1.5 to 2 bathrooms, have to have two toilets. A garage or workshop for hubby to play in. Basement or storm shelter for safety. Barn or out build for the animals. Room to store food for emergencies. A second heat source would be nice if it is out to far, I already did an ice storm and was with out lights and that for 6 days, some were up to 3 and 4 weeks with out. It might take some time, but I think that is the right thing to do. We might give a a few things but not to many. The right house is out there it just might not be on the market yet. I have the three sites that I use to look at house set at different setting so that I get a look at what will work the best for us.

0 comments :

Post a Comment